Angela Bartram is an artist working with live art, video and sculptural objects. Here she offers her top five tips for getting started in contemporary visual art (and how to survive).
1. Network like mad, get to know people in the arts in your locality and further afield. You need to be known to be recommended.
2. Find practical and worthwhile ways to support your work as it develops. Consider the benefits of further study.
3. Be prepared for rejection - it happens. Pick yourself up, shake yourself down. It happens to all of us, honest.
4. Be self employed. The cost of the odd tube of paint or stack of blank DVD's adds up and can be counted against your income, from art or other work.
5. Take advice. Don't be too frightened or too proud to ask the advice of someone who has been working successfully as an artist for longer than you. They've experienced pitfalls, anxieties, poverty and despair and come through it.
|< Prev||Next >|